Fun Google Tips & Tricks!
- Calculator- Type ‘calculator’- great for those times when a student forgets!
- Set Timer -Type ‘set timer’ and number of minutes-an actual timer or stopwatch!
- Conversions -Type ‘convert’- and add dimension ‘to’ dimension (or degree ‘to’ degree)
- Translate- Type ‘translate’ and phrase. In second box choose language to translate to.
- Check flight status -Type ‘flight’ + name of city flying from and name of city flying to. Fill out dates and other info.
- Flip a Virtual Coin- Type ‘flip coin’ - a virtual coin flips and lands!
- Time Zones- Type ‘time in’ + name of city.
- Local film listings- Type ‘movies’ + name of city and state.
- Weather Updates- Type ‘weather’ + name of city and state.
- Searching public data- Type info such as ‘population growth Downingtown, PA’.
- Google Searching
- Using quotes “ “ for exact words
- Use an asterisk within quotes to specify unknown or variable words “*” [“imagine all the * living for today”]
- Use the minus sign to eliminate results containing certain words (Eagles -football)
- Search websites for keywords- “Google site:TIME.com”
- Tabs for -Videos, news, maps, books, apps all related to your search.
- Song lyrics-follow the name of any song with the word ‘lyrics’.
- Game scores-place ‘vs’ between the names of teams to see live scores.
- Google Image Tips
- Drag an image to the Google search bar and see details about that image!
- Search for pictures that are free to use and share-type the image to search>images>search tools>usage rights.
- Choose color of background and/or transparent-images>search tools>color.
- Just Plain Fun
- Barrell Roll-Type 'do a barrel roll' and watch the Internet spin!
- Break the Internet-Type Google Gravity and watch your screen collapse!
- MIrror Image-Type Google Mirror and to see a reflection of your browser window.
- Compare foods using “vs” (ground turkey vs ground beef)
- Filter search results for recipes
- Google Scholar- search for peer edited articles and PDF’s
- Google Chrome Tabs Options-Right-click any tab in Google Chrome to complete any of the following actions:
- Close, Close other, Close to the Right
- Reopen Closed
- Bookmark All